to the Schola Latina Online Henle Latin Class
Thank you for your interest in the Schola Latina online Henle Latin Class. The Schola Latina Online Latin Class is a Latin I course which aims to give students an appreciation for the richness of the Latin language and for the cultures which made use of it. The class focuses on grammar and vocabulary, and additionally incorporates many of the cultural elements surrounding Latin to give students a fuller and more complete experience of the language.
Why the Henle Latin series?
The Henle Latin series provides a thorough, grammar-focused introduction to the Latin language with an extensive vocabulary of both secular and Christian Latin. Whether your motivation is to read Sacred Scripture, Caesar, Thomas Aquinas, or Cicero, the complete Henle course will prepare you to read original Latin works. The book is straightforward, easy to understand, and proceeds in a logical manner. Of the many Latin courses with which I am familiar, this series is the best by far.
What Will I Learn?
By the end of the class, you will have an extensive vocabulary and you will know all five noun declensions; all six indicative verb tenses, both active and passive; how to decline adjectives and personal pronouns; and much more.
What is the Class Schedule?
The class meets twice a week beginning the last week of August and continuing until the middle of December. Class resumes at the beginning of January and ends at the end of May. Please contact me with your availability and I will do my best to coordinate a class time that works well for all.
Unable to Take the Class at That Time?
You can still have the benefit of a private instructor even if your schedule forces you to attend only once a week or sporadically. I will make all the instructional material for each class available to you by the end of that day’s lesson so you can keep pace with the class and still have feedback on your homework assignments. And of course you can email me with questions at any time.
Can I Start in the Middle of the Year?
If you’ve missed more than a couple of weeks or if you have run into questions, I am available for private tutoring. We can meet as we would with the normal class format (see below), or I can make the class materials available to you to progress through them at your own pace. You are free to email at any time with questions.
What is the Class Format?
What Will I Need for the Class?
You will need the Henle Latin I Textbook, the Henle Latin Grammar book, and flashcards.
Why Should I Take the Schola Latina Online Henle Latin Class?
- Learning a language is more fun with other people
- Learning Latin in a class setting helps you stay focused and dedicated
- Latin questions can be answered right away and mistakes can be caught right away
- The small class size means you get the individualized attention of a private instructor at your own pace
- This class is ideal for self-learners of any age
- This class is ideal for home-school students following a curriculum that uses this textbook
- This class will prepare you to read both Christian Latin authors and secular Latin authors
- You will also experience the art, music, technology, mythology, and cultural points of interest that will enrich your study of Latin and make the Latin language really come alive.
(or contact me with questions)
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you’re interested in taking the class. I will work with you to resolve any potential difficulties.